A little more than two years ago I started this website. My love of baking forever, started long before that though even before I could reach the counter top on my own. My mom used to push a chair over for me to stand on so I could use all my favorite cookie cutters.
Not only does this mark two years for my site, but this is also my 100th recipe that I have published! Woo hoo! I am so excited about this recipe! Rum & Coke Cupcakes were actually the very first alcoholic recipe I made. Everyone was asking for the recipe as soon as they tried them which gave me the idea for this site!
A moist chocolate cupcakes (with a little bit of rum) and a creamy marshmallow frosting make for a delicious and boozy cupcake! Perfect for parties or pirate-y occasions!
Rum and Coke Cupcakes
- 3/4 Cup Unsalted Butter (Softened)
- 3/4 Cup Cocoa Powder
- 1 3/4 Cups Granulated Sugar
- 1/2 Teaspoon Salt
- 1 1/2 Teaspoon Baking Soda
- 3 Teaspoons Vanilla Extract
- 2 Cups All-Purpose Flour
- 4 Eggs
- 1 Cup Coke Cola
- 1/2 Cup Spiced Rum
- 1 Jar Marshmallow Creme
- 1/4 Cup Vegetable Shortening
- Pinch of Salt
- 1 Teaspoons Vanilla Extract
- 2 Tablespoon Spiced Rum
- 4 Cups Confectioners’ Sugar
1. Preheat your oven to 350 Degrees Fahrenheit. Line a muffin pan with cupcake liners. In a medium-sized bowl, whisk together the flour and cocoa powder.
2. Cream together the butter, sugar, salt, vanilla extract, and baking soda.
3. Add the eggs one at a time, beating well between each addition. Scrape the sides of the bowl as needed to ensure everything is well mixed.
4. Blend in the flour mix, one-third at a time alternating with the rum and coke until all is combined and smooth.
5. Pour batter into cupcake liners about 3/4 of the way full.
6. Bake cupcakes 20-24 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean when inserted. Allow to cool on a wire cooling rack.
8. Once the cupcakes have cooled completely you can “inject” them with additional rum if desired. I bought these super cute cupcake things from Wilton that are so helpful with this!
9. Frost the cupcakes with the marshmallow frosting and decorate as desired.