Muddy Buddies… Puppy Chow… whatever you want to call it, this is one of my favorite things to snack on. I remember my mom making it when I was a kid. I would beg her to make it. It’s easy, requires no baking, and is a classic! In case you don’t already know the recipe or have never made it before, here you go!
If you compare mine to the actual official Chex recipe, you’ll notice I add a little bit more chocolate and way more powdered sugar, I like mine evenly coated. It’s worth it, I promise! I mean is adding extra chocolate ever really a bad thing??? Now I like to make mine with just Rice Chex, but you can use corn or a combination of the two.
- 8 Cups Chex Cereal
- 1 1/4 Cup Chocolate Chips
- 1/2 Cup Peanut Butter
- 1/4 Cup Unsalted Butter
- 1 Teaspoon Vanilla Extract
- 2 1/4 Cup Powdered Sugar
- 1 Large Freezer Bag
1. In a large bowl, measure out the cereal. Set aside. Line a counter top (or pan) with parchment. Set aside.
2. In a medium-sized microwave safe bowl, combine the chocolate chips, peanut butter, and butter. Microwave on high until melted and easy to stir. Start with one minute, if it is still not melted, microwave for 30 seconds at a time until melted and you can stir it until smooth.
3. Once melted, stir in the vanilla extract. Pour mixture over the cereal. Stir with a spatula until the cereal is evenly coated.
4. Pour the covered cereal into the large freezer bad. Add the powdered sugar. Make sure the bag is closed tightly. Shake the bag until the cereal is coated in powdered sugar.
5. Once the cereal has been coated, pour it out on to the parchment. Allow the cereal to cool completely before transferring to an air tight container.