When I was younger, my grandma made my cousins and I a cookbook filled with recipes she liked to make. One of the recipes was for a sour cream coffee cake. This coffee cake is delicious. Every year my family makes coffee cake from one of those box mixes usually for holidays. This recipe is so much better than anything store-bought. I chose to make this in mini loaf pans, but you could also make it in a muffin pan or an 8×8 pan, but you would need to adjust the cooking time. Another great alteration to this recipe is the addition of walnuts into the cinnamon sugar mixture, but it turns out great either way!
Sour Cream Coffee Cake
- 2 Eggs
- 1/2 Cup Unsalted Butter
- 1 Cup Granulated Sugar
- 1 Teaspoon Vanilla Extract
- 1 Cup Sour Cream
- 2 Cup All-Purpose Flour
- 1/4 Teaspoon Salt
- 1 Teaspoon Baking Soda
- 1 Teaspoon Baking Powder
- 1 Teaspoon Ground Cinnamon
- 1/2 Cup Granulated Sugar
- 1/2 Cup Walnuts or Pecans (optional)
1.Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Grease and flour the bottom and sides of a loaf pan. Set aside.
2. In a small bowl, mix the cinnamon, sugar, and nuts. Set aside.
3. In a large bowl or the bowl of a stand mixer cream butter and sugar. Add the eggs one at a time and mix well after each addition. Add the vanilla and sour cream.
4. Mix in flour, salt, baking soda, and baking powder.
5. Pour half of batter into the greased loaf pan. Sprinkle the batter with half of the cinnamon topping. You can try using a butter knife to swirl the cinnamon topping mixture in the batter.
6. Pour the remaining batter on top, spread evenly and sprinkle with the remaining cinnamon topping.
7. Bake at 350 degrees for 20-30 minutes (depending on the pan that you use) or until a toothpick comes out clean when inserted into the center of the cake.
8. Remove from oven and allow to cool completely before removing from pan.