I have posted before about a dog treat recipe that I had found that I adapted (which you can find here). Well here is another treat you can make for the furry friends in your life! I have been doing so much baking lately, I decided to treat my dog to a special homemade snack. I made these for my dog, Jack, and he loved them even more than the pumpkin ones I made the first time! Jack, however, was not cooperating when it came time to take the final pictures. He was too busy trying to eat every last one!
(I adapted this based on a similar recipe in a book of dog treats but ended up combining a few different recipes based now what I happened to have on hand. I’ve included the author and title of the original source at the bottom.)
Cheesy Dog Treats
- 1 1/2 Cup White Whole Wheat Flour
- 2 Tablespoons Vegetable Oil
- 1/2 Cup Shredded Cheddar Cheese
- 1/2 Cup Water
1. Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
2. Combine all ingredients in a mixing bowl. Mix until all ingredients are combined and it forms a dough.
3.Roll out the dough on a lightly floured surface about 1/2 inch thick. The wheat flour worked well for this, since you should already have it out for the recipe.
4. Place the bones (or whatever shape treats you end up making) on the parchment lined baking sheet. These don’t spread so you don’t have to worry about them being too close together! I used a small bone shaped cookie cutter with a few extra big treats shaped like reindeer since it is December. I got about 3 dozen treats from this recipe, but it depends on how big you make them.
5. Bake at 375 for about 30- 33 minutes depending on your oven. Mine took about 30 minutes to turn a nice brown color. Once they have browned and feel dry they are done.
6. Allow to cool completely before serving to your furry friend! Store in an air tight container.
*These should be used as occasional treats and are not supposed to substitute an entire meal!
Adapted from several recipes from “The New Doggy Bone Cookbook” by Michele Bledsoe.