- 1 Box Yellow Cake Mix
- 1/3-Cup Vegetable Oil
- ½ Cup Water
- 3 Eggs
- ½ Cup Tequila +3 Teaspoons Separated
- 1/3-Cup Lime Juice
- 1 Tablespoon Lime Zest +1 Teaspoon Separated
- Green Food Coloring (Optional)
- 4oz. Cream Cheese, Softened
- 2 Tablespoon Butter, Softened
- 1 Cup Powdered Sugar
- 2 Teaspoon Lime Juice
- 3 Tablespoon Tequila
- 2 Packages White (I used lime green.) Candy Coating
- Oil Based Green Food Coloring
- Large Sugar Crystals
- Margarita Salt
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees and butter and flour a 13×9 pan.
- In the bowl of a stand mixer, combine cake mix, eggs, oil, water, ½ cup tequila, lime juice, and 1 teaspoon zest and mix on medium high speed for two minutes or until batter becomes fluffy. Add green food coloring if desired.
- Bake 20-25 minutes or until a toothpick inserted into the center of the cake comes out clean.
- Let cool at least 15 minutes then brush top of cake with tequila and sprinkle with remaining lime zest. (Can be cooled overnight).
- Using a fork (or hands) break up cake into fine crumbs while removing any crusty pieces.
- Make the frosting by beating the cream cheese and butter until smooth. Add powdered sugar and continue to mix until there are no lumps. Add lime juice and tequila. Blend until combined.
- Line baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Thoroughly mix half of the frosting into the crumbed cake mixture. Cake should be moist and the consistency of thick cookie dough. Place in refrigerator for 30 minutes (or overnight) so that it is easier to roll into a ball.
- Using your hands, roll chilled cake mixture into 1-inch balls. Place on lined baking sheet. When done, place baking sheet in the freezer for 30 minutes.
- Microwave ½ package of vanilla candy ships in small bowl, stirring every 30 seconds until melted.
- Dip the cake balls into candy coating. Place cake ball into the bowl o f melted coating. Lift out with a fork and tap against the rim of bowl to remove excess coating. Using a toothpick, push cake ball back on to parchment from the bottom so that you do not smudge the coating.
- While coating is still wet, give cake ball a healthy sprinkling of decorating sugar and margarita salt.