Years ago I made these for Christmas with peppermint flavored Hershey’s Kisses. I was trying to think of something to make and saw these in my recipe book. Since it’s not December I was just going to use the original Hershey’s Kisses, however, I grabbed the wrong bag and got Hugs instead. Equally delicious, and I must say they photograph pretty well!
A Hershey’s Kiss situated on top of a soft sugar cookie rolled in sugar, they are a good fun cookie to make and they really aren’t that difficult. I do suggest making sure you have room in your freezer to fit the pan BEFORE you start making them. I have made that mistake before which leads to your kisses melting on top of the cookie… still delicious, but not as pretty.
Chocolate Kiss Cookies
- 1 1/2 Cups Powdered Sugar
- 1 1/4 Cups Unsalted Butter (softened)
- 2 Teaspoons Vanilla Extract
- 1 Egg
- 3 Cups All-Purpose Flour
- 1 Teaspoon Baking Powder
- 1/2 Teaspoon Salt
- 1/2 Cup Granulated Sugar
- 40 Unwrapped Chocolate Kisses
1. Preheat oven to 350°F. Make room in either refrigerator or freezer for your cookie sheet. For easy removal, line your baking sheet with parchment paper.
2. In a large bowl, whisk together flour, baking powder and salt.
3. In large mixer bowl, combine powdered sugar, butter, the vanilla extract and egg. Beat at medium speed, scraping bowl often until creamy.
4. Add in the dry mixture about a third at a time and beat, scraping bowl often until well blended.
6. Place the dough balls 1-inch apart on cookie sheet. Bake for 10-12 minutes or until the bottoms are golden brown. As soon as they come out of the oven, press a Kiss in the center of each cookie. They’ll crack a little around the edges.
7. Put the cookie sheet (with the cookies) immediately into the freezer so that the Kisses will set quickly. As soon as you press them into the cookie, they will begin to soften and the bottoms will melt helping them stick to the cookie. As you can see, some of mine got a little melted…
8. Leave the cookies in the freezer for about 10 minutes or until the kisses are firmed back up. Allow to warm back up to room temperature before eating them Store in an air tight container.