Every year on New Years Eve my family makes wontons. I usually just eat plain wontons while my family makes chicken filled ones. I am really not sure why, or how this ever became our tradition or even where the recipe they use comes from. This year I ended up making dessert wontons filled with chocolate and sugar. These came out so well that when we made wontons this past weekend for the Super Bowl I made them again. (Again I’m really not sure what wontons have to do with football, but it is also Chinese New Year so I guess it works.)
- 1 Package Wonton Wrappers
- 1 1/2 Cups Chocolate Chips
- 1 Cup White Chocolate Chips
- 1 Cup Mini Marshmallows
- 1/4 Cup Powdered Sugar
- 3 Cups Vegetable Oil
1. Line a 8×8 dish with paper towels. This is where you will put the fried wontons so that the oil gets soaked up. I usually do three layers of paper towels. In a small bowl mix the white and semisweet chocolate chips together. Fill a small bowl with water.
2. Lay out the wonton wrappers on your work surface. Place a couple of chocolate chips and marshmallows into the center of each wrapper. I have never tried to make the wonton papers myself so I always use just the packs that you can buy at the supermarket.
3. Dip your finger in water and run around the top edge of the wonton paper. Fold the wonton wrapper together and press. This will help seal the edges of the wonton together. Set aside. Repeat this step for all of the wonton wrappers.
4. Once all of the wontons have been filled, fill a medium sauce pan 1/4 of the way with oil. Bring the oil to a boil.
5. Carefully place the wontons in the oil until they are a nice golden brown. Flip them over until golden on both sides. Remove from oil. When removing from oil. Hold them above the oil for a few seconds so that as much of the oil drains out as possible. Place the fried wontons in the paper towel dish. Continue for all wontons.
6. Once the wontons have cooled a bit, sprinkle with powdered sugar and enjoy! You can also try dipping them in chocolate sauce.