Now, I am calling this “Chex” Mix because that is what most people would recognize it as, but obviously it doesn’t have to be that brand of cereal. I love making this because you can customize it to however you want it. Don’t like it too spicy? Don’t make it spicy. Want it to be sweet? Add more sugar! Want to add peanuts or wheat Chex mix to it? Go right ahead!
The recipe below is the way I like it, but you can switch out or add whatever you want!
Sweet & Spicy Snack Mix
- 4 Cups Rice Chex Cereal
- 4 Cups Corn Chex Cereal
- 1 1/2 Cup Plain Croutons
- 1 1/2 Cup Pretzels
- 1/4 Cup Unsalted Butter or Margarine
- 2 Tablespoon Olive Oil
- 2 Tablespoons Granulated Sugar
- 2 Teaspoon Ground Turmeric
- 3 Teaspoons Ground Chili Powder
- 3 Teaspoon Ground Paprika
- 1 Teaspoon Onion Powder
- 1 Teaspoon Garlic Powder
- Salt & Pepper to taste
1. Preheat oven to 250 Degrees.
2. In a 9x 13 pan, melt butter at 250 degrees. You can just stick it in the oven while it preheats.
3. Once the butter is melted, add the oil and spices. Mix the ingredients well. If you want to add any other spices, or more of any of them, then go ahead! Usually while I’m making it, I will add stuff as I go. I hardly ever measure this anymore and go more by taste (and with the later ingredients how much space is left in the pan).
4. Next, add in the cereal, croutons, and pretzels and stir so that they are evenly coated in the seasoning. If there is still seasoning at the bottom of the pan and you have room, you can add more stuff! For the croutons, if you can find them, plain unseasoned works best. I have used basically every seasoning of croutons in the Chex mix so any of them work though. Bagel chips work nicely too!
5. Bake in the oven at 250 degrees for 1 hour. Stir every 20 minutes. You will know it is done when the cereal, croutons, and pretzels are crunchy! Happy snacking!