I was going through some recipes that my grandma’s had passed down. I found one for something similar to this. I love toffee and this seemed really similar. However, I wanted to change it up just a little bit – enter the rum! I used dark spiced rum but any sort of rum will work. I do want to point out that when you add the rum to the hot mixture, it will boil and splatter as the alcohol cooks off so BE CAREFUL!
There aren’t a lot of ingredients needed for this and it doesn’t take very long to make, the hardest part is waiting for it to cool.
Butter Rum Crunch
- 1 Cup Chopped Almonds
- 1/2 Cup Unsalted Butter
- 1/2 Cup Granulated Sugar
- 1 Tablespoon Light Corn Syrup
- 1/2 Cup Spiced Rum
1.Line a 9×9 pan with parchment paper. Spread the chopped almonds on the pan.
2. In a large sauce pan on medium heat, melt the butter. Add the light corn syrup and sugar. Bring to a boil, stir constantly. I strongly suggest using a wooden spoon or you may end up with a half melted plastic one!
3. Reduce heat to low once it begins to boil. Attach a candy thermometer to the side of the pan. Continue to stir on low heat until mixture reaches the Hard crack stage… which I think is around 300 degrees Fahrenheit.
4. A tip I got from my mom is if you do not have a candy thermometer, you can fill a small bowl with ice water. Drop a small amount of the toffee mixture into the ice water. If it hardens and you can snap it in half, the mixture is done.
5. Once it has reached the hard crack stage, pour into the pan over the almonds.
6. Allow to cool for several hours. Once cool, break into pieces and store in an air tight container.