I had never thought about making bagels before, turns out they aren’t really all that hard! The hardest part is waiting while the dough rises or rests, I’m not a very patient baker…. but the wait is worth it once you make these delicious homemade bagels!
- 1 package Active Dry Yeast
- 1 1/2 Cups Warm Water
- 4 1/4 Cups All Purpose Flour
- 1/4 Cup Sugar
- 1 Egg (optional)
- Toppings (optional)
- 2 Tablespoons Brown Sugar
(some toppings I have done in the past are sesame seeds, poppy seeds, parmesan cheese, salt, chocolate chips, and cheddar cheese.)
1. In a large bowl, or the bowl of a stand mixer, dissolve yeast in warm water.
2. Add sugar. Gradually add the flour. Mix well.
3. Next, knead the dough, you can either knead the dough by hand on a lightly floured surface for6-8 minutes or use the dough hook attachment on the mixer and let it do the all the work for you! (I always opt for the mixer option). You may need to add flour as you knead the dough so that it does not become too sticky. Once the dough has been kneaded, it will be smooth and elastic. It should not stick to your hands when touched.
4. Place dough in a lightly greased bowl, cover with a clean towel, and allow to rise in a warm place for one hour. The dough should almost double in size.
5. On a lightly floured surface, divide dough into 8 pieces about the size of your fist. Shape each piece into a ball. Let the dough rest on a greased baking sheet for about 45 minutes. Once rested, using your fingers, create a hole and stretch the hole so it is about two inches across.
6. Preheat your oven to 425 degrees Fahrenheit.
7. Fill a large pan about halfway with water, dissolve brown sugar, and bring to a boil. Once boiling, drop a bagel (or two if they fit) in the water. Boil on one side for 4 minutes, then flip and let boil for 4 more minutes. Remove from water and place on the greased baking sheet. Repeat for all bagels.
8. Next comes the toppings! Whisk the egg and using a pastry brush, brush the tops of the bagels with the and sprinkle with your desired toppings. If you just want your bagels plain, you can skip the toppings. If you are making any cheese bagels, simply pile up the cheese on top.
9. Bake bagels at 425 degrees Fahrenheit for 15-25 minutes or until they become golden brown. Then allow them to cool slightly and enjoy!