In my family we never have the store bought microwave popcorn on hand. However, I love popcorn. We usually make stove top popcorn, it tasted a million times better and seemed healthier (not sure if it really is!) because you can add as little or as much butter and salt as you like.
I also really love kettle corn and started thinking the other day about how I could make kettle corn at home. I had heard from a coworker about making just a small amount of popcorn in the microwave with just some oil and the popcorn kernels in a paper bag. I took it one step further and created this kettle corn recipe!
Now with this recipe, I had to try it several times before I found the right proportions and the cooking time can be hit or miss so don’t leave the room while it pops!
Microwave Kettle Corn
- 1/4 Cup Popcorn Kernels
- 2 Teaspoon Vegetable Oil
- 3 Tablespoons Granulated Sugar
- 1 Teaspoon Salt
1. In a small bowl, mix all of the ingredients together. Stir so that the popcorn kernels are coated int he oil and sugar.
2. Pour the mixture into a lunch sized brown paper bag.
3. Fold down the top of the bag 2-3 times and crease using your fingernails. You will want to make sure to really crease the folds so that the bag does not pop open in the microwave.
4. Place the bag in the center of the microwave. The bottom of the bag will be greasy so you may want to put a napkin or paper towel down first.
5. Microwave for 2-3:30 minutes. You will need to watch the time and listen closely for the popping to stop. Mine took about 3 minutes for the popping to slow down. Every microwave is different though!
6. Once the popping has slowed and there are about 2 seconds between each pop, stop the microwave. Let the bag sit for 30 seconds to a minute to make sure that all the popping is done.
7. Carefully pour the popcorn into a bowl to serve!