Whenever I make these cheesy bread sticks they are gone in a matter of minutes. I usually make them when I’m having pizza, pasta, or as an appetizer. In the past if I’ve gone to an event and need to bring something, these are perfect!
- 2 1/2 Cups Bread Flour
- 1 Teaspoon Salt
- 1 Package Active Dry Yeast
- 1 Tablespoon Olive Oil
- 1 Tablespoon Honey
- 6 Tablespoons Finely Grated Parmesan
- 4 Tablespoons Butter
- 1 Cup Shredded Parmesan
- 1-2 Cups Shredded Mozzarella
- Garlic Powder
- Additional Seasonings (optional: Oregano, Salt, Pepper, etc.)
1. Dissolve yeast in warm water. Stir in the honey. Let sit for 10 minutes. The mixture should start to foam.
2. Stir in the olive oil and salt. Add in half the flour. Once combined, stir in the rest.
3. Knead the dough for about 5 minutes. This can be done by hand, or I let my stand mixer do the work for me using the dough hook attachment. The dough will be smooth and elasticity. It should not be sticky to the touch.
4. Lightly coat a large clean bowl and the dough with olive oil. Cover the dough and let rise in a warm place for 1 hour.
5. Pre heat oven to 425 degrees Fahrenheit.
6. Melt 3-4 tablespoons butter. Divide the dough in half.
7. Divide the dough in half. Roll out the dough on a very lightly floured surface in a rectangular shape. It doesn’t have to be perfect. Using a rolling pizza cutter, cute the dough in 1-2 inch strips lengthwise.
8. Using a pastry brush ( or spoon) coat the dough in butter. Sprinkle with finely grated parmesan. Flip the strips over and repeat.
9. Using one strip of dough, fold the strip in half and twist the ends together.
10. Press the ends together so that they don’t come untwisted. Repeat for each of the strips. Transfer to the strips to a greased cookie sheet.
11. Roll out the second half of the dough and repeat steps 7 through 10.
12. Once the strips are on the cookie sheet, sprinkle with garlic powder and salt. I you want to add pepper, oregano or any other seasonings go ahead!
13. Press shredded cheese into the twists of the breadsticks. I like to use shredded parmesan and mozzarella for this, but any cheese will work. If you don’t want your bread sticks extra cheesy you can also skip this step altogether.
14. Bake the breadsticks at 425 for about 10 minutes, or until the cheese begins to brown and dough is golden.
Tip: These are best served hot from he oven, but they can be stored overnight in an air tight container and reheated the next day. If you are serving these on a platter, I suggest serving with a side of ranch or warmed marinara sauce!