Every year for Christmas, I make hundreds of cookies to give away. I knew that at least one of the recipes I wanted to create had to have peppermint.
This recipe is probably one of the first ones I created on my own. I was also looking for something with alcohol added into it. (I had just discovered the Brown Butter Bourbon Cookies and was looking to create other alcoholic recipes. )
These are also the perfect bite-sized cookie for packaging up and giving as a gift!
Peppermint Schnapps Thumbprint Cookies
Makes about 20 cookies
- 2/3 Cup Unsalted Butter, Softened
- ½ Cup Sugar
- ¼ Cup Unsweetened Cocoa Powder
- ¼ Teaspoon Baking Soda
- 1/8 Teaspoon Salt
- 1 Egg
- 1 Teaspoon Vanilla Extract
- 1-1/3 Cup All Purpose Flour
- 1 Cup Granulated Sugar
- 2 oz. Unsalted Butter
- 3 Tbsp. Heavy Cream
- 2 Tbsp. peppermint schnapps
- 2 Tbsp. Irish Cream Liqueur
- 1/2 Cup White Chocolate Chips
- 1/2 Cup Mint Chips
- 1/2 Tsp. Vanilla Extract
- 1/2 of a 7 oz. Jar Marshmallow Crème
Confectioners Sugar (For Dusting, if desired)
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Line two cookie sheets with parchment paper.
- In a large mixing bowl, beat butter on medium high-speed for 30 seconds.
- Add sugar, cocoa powder baking soda, and salt. Beat until combined, scraping bowl occasionally.
- Beat in egg and vanilla until combined. Beat in flour.
- Once dough is easily handled, roll dough into 1-inch balls. (If necessary, refrigerate dough until firm).
- Place balls 2 inches apart on lined cookie sheets. Using your thumb, make indentation in the center of each cookie.
- Bake cookies 7-8 minutes or until edges are firm. Remove cookies from cookie sheet and allow to cool on a wire rack. When I took mine out of the oven, some of the indentations has become too shallow, so I used the rounded end of a spoon to make the indentation in each cookie again.
For Fudge Filling
- Combine sugar, butter, heavy cream, and both liqueurs into a large heavy bottomed saucepan and bring to a boil over medium heat.
- Once boiling attach a candy thermometer and reduce heat to medium low and cook for 7-10 minutes until thermometer reads 234 degrees, stirring constantly.
- Once you reach 234 degrees, remove from heat and add the white chocolate chips and mint ships, stirring vigorously with a wooden spoon until the chocolate has melted and mixture is smooth.
- Add the vanilla extract and marshmallow cream. Mix well.
- Spoon into thumbprints of cookies. Let cool at room temperature.
- If desired, lightly sprinkle cookies with confectioners sugar.
* I had leftover fudge after filling the cookies, pour fudge into a greased glass pan, top with some crushed candy canes, and allow to cool before cutting fudge into squares.